Angela specialises in all areas of personal injury, has more than 20 years’ experience and is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers.
She deals with a wide variety of personal injury matters including road traffic accidents – covering claims against the Motor Insurers Bureau when a third party is uninsured and untraced and accidents in the UK where the other driver’s vehicle is registered abroad – as well as accidents at work, fatal accidents, public liability, occupier liability and claims arising from faulty products.
At what is often a difficult and distressing time for clients, she is adept at providing advice, guidance and support to those who have suffered soft tissue injuries, multiple orthopaedic injuries, post-traumatic stress, spinal injuries and head injuries as well as to families devastated by the death of a loved one resulting from a road accident.
Examples of her work include:-
Road Traffic Accidents, acting for:
- A lorry driver and a car driver involved in the multi-vehicle collision that occurred on the M5 near Taunton in 2011. The coroner concluded the accident was caused by dense fog (the smoke from a nearby firework display may have been a contributory factor). Damages were recovered for whiplash injuries to the neck and back and post-traumatic stress disorder;
- A pedestrian hit by a cyclist, the impact of which pushed the pedestrian head first into a stone wall causing head injuries;
- The widower of a pedestrian who was fatally injured when she was knocked down by a reversing vehicle as she walked through a shopping mall car park;
- A child pedestrian who was walking across the road with her mother when they were both hit by a car – the mother sustaining a fracture to the lower leg and the child suffering a fracture to the wrist, soft tissue injuries to the neck and back, shock and anxiety;
- A cyclist knocked off her bicycle by a passing vehicle sustaining a fracture to the knee, resulting in partial knee replacement surgery and the likelihood of knee replacement revision surgery in the future;
- A motorcyclist hit by a vehicle that failed to stop at a traffic light controlled junction who sustained a serious injury to the right foot;
- A motorcyclist overtaking a stationary bus who sustained multiple injuries when hit by a car approaching from the opposite direction. The motorcyclist was found partly to blame for the accident and his damages were reduced by two thirds;
- A driver involved in a head-on vehicle collision who suffered multiple fractures and post-traumatic stress disorder. She was unable to return to her pre-accident employment as a care home manager as a result of her injuries and her own home required adaptations to include a stair lift, wet room, widening of the front door to accommodate a mobility scooter and wheelchair as well as other aids and equipment to include a profiling bed, rise and reclining armchair.
Accidents at Work, acting for:
- A self-employed carpenter who fell from a ladder, landing on both feet and sustaining bilateral heel fractures;
- An employee who slipped on a pool of oil left on a factory floor suffering soft tissue injuries to the hip and fracture to the wrist;
- A paramedic who was pushing a stretcher into the back of an ambulance when his work colleague at the other end negligently let go of the stretcher causing soft tissue injuries to the back and leg;
- A teacher who was assaulted while working in a young offenders institute suffering psychological injury.
Product Liability, acting for:
- A self-employed client who suffered injury when a plastic foot stool he was standing on broke and he sustained a fracture to his left thigh where he already had a left hip replacement;
- A child who sustained burn injuries to the leg from a leaking bleach bottle;
- A farmer who was standing to the side of a trailer while livestock were alighting via a ramp when one of the ramp gates failed to remain within its securing, hitting the client causing facial bruising and a whiplash injury.
Public Liability/Occupier’s Liability, acting for:
- A client who was walking along the pavement and tripped in a pothole suffering a fracture to his ankle requiring surgery with a risk of full ankle fusion surgery in the future. The claim against his local council was successful;
- A customer in a supermarket who was successful in her claim after slipping on a wet floor;
- A child who sustained neck and back injuries in a trampoline accident at a local leisure centre;
- A passenger in a hot air balloon who suffered fractures to the leg when she was not given proper instruction by the pilot on landing.
Legal 500 2019 Wards Solicitors is recommended for Personal Injury and Angela Carnell is described as “very experienced”.
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualified as a Chartered Legal Executive (CILEX) in 1999
- Qualified as a Solicitor in 2004
- Has specialised in Accident and Injury law since 1997
Supervised by Alison Underhill