- I have specialised in the field of assisting employees with their employment disputes. I have dealt with the whole process, including drafting letters on behalf of clients prior to litigation, providing representation through the ACAS process and where required, supporting employees through the Employment Tribunal process, including representation at telephone preliminary hearings. I have dealt with the majority of issues an employee can face, with particular focus on unfair dismissal, owed wages (including commission) and discrimination claims, with comprehensive experience of advising clients on the prospects of their matter succeeding in the Tribunal, alongside the likely value of any award.
- As part of the litigation process, settlement discussions are a key factor. This is because when properly undertaken, it is an invaluable way to ensure that an amicable solution is reached. I have experience of dealing with all forms of settlements and advising on the terms of them, alongside establishing the strongest negotiation position for my clients. I acted on behalf of a client, on numerous occasions and in total, recovered in excess of £120,000.00.
Determining employment status
- When assisting individuals through their employment matters, it is crucial to be able to identify what their employment status is. Each employment status enjoy different rights, alongside different methods of enforcing those rights. I have assisted many individuals in understanding their employment status and what rights they have, alongside presenting arguments around employment status to the Employment Tribunal. My practical work on this area is supported by my recent Masters dissertation titled ‘Considering the benefits and problems of any change in the law, would more clarity and certainty over employment status be beneficial in the UK?’.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Law Degree – Plymouth University – 2014 (2:1)
- LPC with Masters in Law – The University of Law – 2019 (Distinction)
- Qualified as a Solicitor in January 2020
- Has specialised in Employment law since 2016
Matthew says: “Clients have commented on how dedicated I have been to their matter, leading to them feeling supported throughout their situation, with a focus on achieving the best outcome for them. Furthermore, I have been praised for my clear and accurate communication, alongside my ability to have honest conversation with clients, about their situation, from an objective standard to ensure that they are fully aware of the legal issues.
Supervised by Joe Nicholls