Upgrade to ChromeUpgrade to FirefoxUpgrade to Internet ExplorerUpgrade to Safari

Transfer of equity or property share – what do I need to know?

Sometimes, having bought a property with someone else, you might decide that you want to change the legal ownership or status of that property to reflect what’s going on in your life.

This is known as a transfer of equity – when the legal ownership of the property changes but at least one of the original owners remains on the title – and there are several scenarios in which you might want to undertake this, including:

    • Getting married or re-married and wishing to add a new partner’s name to the deeds;
    • Relationship breakdown – where a couple, on separation or divorce, transfer the property from joint names to one party’s sole name or where one buys out the share of the other;
    • Changing the percentage share of a property as part of family arrangements or where the property is a gift;
    • When someone has died.

For more help and information about transferring a property share, please get in contact with any member of Wards Solicitors’ specialist Conveyancing Team.

Online Conveyancing Calculator

This quick form will give you a calculation of likely conveyancing costs. At the end you have the option to leave us your contact details, so that we can contact you with your personalised estimate. There is no obligation and this only takes a few minutes.

Conveyancing Calculator
Who should I contact – Moving Home

Who Should I Contact?

Find the appropriate member of the Wards Solicitors Conveyancing team, local to you.

Meet the team
We’re local to you

We’re local to you…

Our 11 offices are located across the Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Bath & North East Somerset and North Somerset region.

Our Offices

Get in Touch

Request a call back

If you’d prefer us to call you back, just use the form below to give us your number and the best time to call. It would also be useful if you could give us some idea of what you’d like to discuss.


UPDATE October 2020

We have now re-opened our branches to clients but all appointments and visits must be pre-booked to comply with government guidance.

Availability for face-to- face meetings in branches will be limited and remote contact with teams – via phone, email or video call – is preferred wherever possible.  Our prime concern remains the safety of our clients and our staff.

Please note that all visitors to our offices must, by law, wear a face covering.

We cannot accept drop-in visits from clients without an appointment being made in advance. If you have documents for us, including for ID certification, please deliver them to our letterbox

How to get in touch:

  • Please email or telephone your usual lawyer or team, or
  • Please telephone the branch most convenient to you between 9am and 5:30pm, or email info@wards.uk.com at any time and we will respond to you as soon as possible.

We look forward to hearing from you.  A list of our 11 branches is available here.

Thank you.

Wards Solicitors LLP