Upgrade to ChromeUpgrade to FirefoxUpgrade to Internet ExplorerUpgrade to Safari

Rent arrears and rent recovery

In these difficult times for residential landlords, knowing what action you can take when a tenant stops paying you their rent has never been more important.

Moving quickly to minimise the damage is key and our Residential Property Disputes Team here at Wards Solicitors, highly experienced in this area of the law, can talk you through exactly what you need to do to get things moving in the right direction.

What can I do to recover rent arrears from a residential tenant?

There are a number of different procedures available to you and we can advise on those that best fit your individual circumstances. They include:

  • County Court claims;
  • Using the government’s Money Claims Online service;
  • Pursuing rent guarantors;
  • Drafting a Section 8 notice for rent arrears to regain possession of your property as soon as possible.

How can I re-let my property?

Unsurprisingly, most residential landlords want to re-let their properties to tenants who will pay the rent as it falls due.

In some cases, recovering rent will take second place to securing possession but it is always worth considering cost effective methods of rent recovery once possession has been secured.

Keeping you in the picture

Our Residential Property Disputes lawyers will always make you aware of all the available options, the pros and cons of each as well as the likely costs.

We also focus on what you yourself can do to improve the situation with your tenants and find amicable solutions.







Get in Touch

Request a call back

If you’d prefer us to call you back, just use the form below to give us your number and the best time to call. It would also be useful if you could give us some idea of what you’d like to discuss.


    January 2022

    Due to high rates of Covid19, we are limiting visitor access to our offices to help our staff stay safe.  We are available for video call and telephone meetings but face to face meetings with clients are currently available only in limited circumstances and only where agreed in advance,  to ensure compliance with our continuing Covid safeguards.

    How to get in touch:

    • Please email or telephone your usual lawyer or team, or
    • Please telephone the branch most convenient to you between 9am and 5:30pm, Monday to Friday.
    • Alternatively, email info@wards.uk.com at any time and we will respond to you as soon as possible.
    • A list of our 12 branches is available here. Our telephones lines are operating normally.