Iain specialises in Commercial Property law, as well as the area in which it crosses over into commercial law. Having worked in the Bristol legal market throughout his career, Iain joined the firm from a role as Senior Solicitor at the Bank of Ireland.
Iain’s area of expertise lies in the acquisition and disposal of commercial premises, dealing with the letting of commercial premises for both landlords and tenants and managing the property law aspects of the sale or acquisition of businesses.
Examples of this type of work include:
- Acting for Derby City Council when it bought a number of properties needed for the redevelopment of the City Centre. This also included completing two short term leases back to the sellers in respect of two sites with suitable early termination provisions to maintain an income stream for the Council pending redevelopment.
- Acting for a commercial client that bought industrial premises conditional on ground investigation. The purchase was simultaneous with the surrender of a lease by an existing tenant.
- Acting for Esporta Health & Fitness in its acquisition of a number of freehold and leasehold sites conditional upon planning, licensing and ground investigations for development as health & racquets clubs. Iain also dealt with its estate management matters – including granting numerous leases to third party operators, such as hairdressers and beauty and sports therapists.
- Acting for a partnership that took an underlease of licensed premises, obtaining the landlord’s licence permitting the underletting, change of use and alterations and acting for the bank that provided funding for refurbishment;
- Acting for a company in the lease renewal of its London Headquarters. Iain negotiated with the Council Landlord’s in-house legal team and ensuring the new lease better reflected the then Code of Practice on Commercial Leases;
- Providing property advice to the team dealing with the sale of a business. This included negotiating on and providing certificates of title in the City of London Law Society Long Form to the buyers.
- Acting for the South West of England Regional Development Agency and dealing with the property aspects arising from the grant funding it made to a private developer to facilitate the building of a business innovation Centre.
Iain says: “I’m delighted to have joined the Wards Solicitors team. Their reputation as such a well-respected and established local firm, providing practical, logical, legal services is second to none and an approach I very much relate to. Any dealings relating to property are likely to be risky, expensive and complicated – that’s where I come in. It’s important to have someone who can look out for your best interests – providing sensible help and advice based on a wealth of experience.”
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualified Legal Executive 1984
- Qualified as a Solicitor in 1986
- Has specialised in Commercial Property since 1994
Supervised by Heather Jones