Upgrade to ChromeUpgrade to FirefoxUpgrade to Internet ExplorerUpgrade to Safari

Are you a residential tenant?

As a tenant of private accommodation, you might be entitled to terminate your tenancy on the basis of frustration or suspend payment of rent, due to the current pandemic.

Prior to getting in touch with us to determine whether you could legitimately suspend any rent payments or terminate the lease on the basis of frustration, the following questions need to be considered:

  1. How has COVID-19 affected your occupation of the property?
  2. Has anyone in the property been diagnosed with COVID-19?
  3. Have you had to move out of the property as a result of COVID-19?
  4. How likely is it that you will be able to go back into the property?

If you are a student of residential University or other institutional accommodation, it could well be the case that you had to leave the property due to Covid-19.

If that is the case, there is a real possibility that you might be entitled to suspend paying rent or terminate the lease on the basis of frustration due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Normally it is very difficult to terminate a tenancy agreement on the basis of frustration, but in these extraordinary times, you may well be able to do so.

You may find yourself in the situation where your landlord keeps asking you to pay rent even though the tenancy has ended due to frustration, or even that your landlord is considering evicting you due to your non-payment of rent.

If any of the above is true for you then please contact Richard Darbinian, who specialises in property disputes and will be able to assist you. Contact: Richard.Darbinian@wards.uk.com

Get in Touch

Request a call back

If you’d prefer us to call you back, just use the form below to give us your number and the best time to call. It would also be useful if you could give us some idea of what you’d like to discuss.