All land and property ownership in England and Wales is subject to a system of registration at the HM Land Registry. Land registration confers benefits and safeguards to property owners and you may take advantage of these by applying voluntarily to have your title registered.
Currently you need to keep your deeds safely and have to use these to ‘prove’ your title. Each individual document is important. If the deeds are lost or are incomplete in any way then this can cause difficulties, delays and expense. Registration simplifies this for you, and provides you with certainty and security.
If you register your title:
• The extent of your property will be shown on a HM Land Registry filed plan.
• The HM Land Registry guarantees your title.
• The HM Land Registry hold your title electronically which means that there are no deeds which can be lost.
• You will receive a copy of your title from the HM Land Registry and copies can be obtained by your legal representatives electronically on your behalf when required.
• Your interest in and title to the property is protected by being part of a public register.
• You will have security and certainty as to what you own.
• It will simplify any subsequent transactions whether in your lifetime or by your executors and beneficiaries in the event of your death. What is the cost?
We at Wards Solicitors strongly recommend that you have your title registered. The cost is usually *£375 plus vat for this service plus the fee charged by the HM Land Registry. In addition there may be some very small payments required for search fees.
The HM Land Registry offer a 25% discount on their usual fees, for a voluntary registration based on the value of your property as follows:
|Value £||Fee £|
|1 mil +||680|
For more information, or to instruct us to apply to the HM Land Registry for the registration of your title please speak to your usual Wards Solicitors contact, or email Rebecca Stuart.
Click here for more information on our conveyancing services.
* This service assumes the proposed registration is of a standard residential property where the title is free from defect and the deeds are complete so that there is no bar to registration. If the title appears to be in any way more complex than normal and our charges have to be increased we would tell you as soon as possible.